Tuesday 21 February 2012

VIRTUAL HERMIT

Have decided to go off-grid, or at least off-Facebook, for the period of Lent. Not because I am particularly religious, though too much exposure to Richard Dawkins can make me feel curiously pious for an atheist, but because I am fed up with having part of my cerebral cortex (or something) leeching into the keyboard of an evening.

I need all of the bits of my brain for writing, and all of my energy for fighting the good fight to transform what I am writing into Actual Books, via the medium of people in publishing. I have no brain power or energy resources available to process other people's restaurant choices, or be told what Guardian features they are reading, or check out their holiday snaps. One of the unsung skills of writing is working out what is cultural inspiration, and what is white noise.

The blogging, however, will continue, never fear.