Tuesday 10 January 2012

THE WRITER'S SCHEDULE


Rule number three for good time management - following on from keeping a time log and getting an overview - is drawing up a schedule.  It’s not very Emily Bronte, but once you know what you want to do, write out a schedule and stick to it.


I write my word goals in my diary and also maintain a work schedule diary on my computer with my other novel business. Try not to let it slide, but if you do, don't go into a deep decline of self-loathing. Just revise your schedule accordingly, either by setting a new deadline or (if you can take it) goading yourself on to produce a higher word count each day.

It's that 'little and often' philosophy again. And bear in mind that if you want to make writing an actual habit, it will take you 66 days to hard-wire regular writing into your life. This is according to the European Journal of Social Psychology, so it must be true.